Todd likes to joke that he became an accountant because he didn’t have to learn a foreign language as part of the degree. While there may be some truth to this, the real reason he’s stuck with this profession for more than 30 years is that he truly enjoys helping people reach their financial and non-financial goals.
Since joining JAK in 1981, Todd’s role here has evolved significantly. He’s worked with clients in nearly every aspect of their financial businesses, from helping with bookkeeping entries and sales tax audits to advising in the transfer of a business to the next generation. Sometimes, though, a client just needs help getting to the bottom of an issue. In these cases, Todd has found that listening and asking strategic questions is the best approach.
Although he’s passionate about his work as a CPA, those three letters don’t define him. Todd’s an avid traveler (he’s visited all 50 states), cookie baker (he has made over 200 plates of cookies and treats with his daughters for his church’s bake sale) and hiker (the longest day hike he’s completed was 26 miles). See, CPAs aren’t boring. They just get excited about topics that others believe are boring.
- Partner, since 1996
- Todd joined the firm in 1981
- Has been interviewed and quoted in TV, radio, newspapers, and other publications
- Testified and assisted in introducing tax bills before the Minnesota legislature
- Active member of the Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA), including leading committees and writing articles
- Guest lecturer at the Carlson School of Business
- Frequent MNCPA spokesperson on tax matters
- Master of Business Taxation (MBT), University of Minnesota, 1990
- Bachelor of Science in Business/Accounting, University of Minnesota, 1981
- CertifiedFinancial Planner(CFP®), 2001
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), 1982
- Member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member of Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA)
- Elijah Watt Sells Award Winner, 1981