Brian L. Knutson, CPA, MBT, CVA
Direct Line: 651-379-5702
Areas of Expertise
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Succession Planning
- General Business and Tax Planning
- Business Valuations for Mergers and Acquisitions
- Stockholder Agreements
You might say “family” has been the theme of Brian’s accounting career.
Brian came to JAK through a family connection after graduating from college in 1977, and became managing partner in 2004. One of the things he cherishes most about his role within the firm is the opportunity to mentor staff. He finds it immensely fulfilling to see young staff members flourish—as managers, directors and partners—within the JAK family.
To Brian, making clients feel like part of the family is equally important. He provides both financial and tax accounting services across multiple industries, and regularly advises his clients on business sales and acquisitions. Many days, he can be found guiding clients through difficult and often personal situations, such as transitioning a business or planning an estate. Regardless of the matter at hand, he’s there for his clients—no matter what.
With four young grandkids, Brian’s family life beyond JAK is quite vibrant. He’s found it especially fun to introduce the little ones to lake life up at the cabin. When he’s not up north hunting, fishing or collecting agates, Brian can usually be found volunteering at his church, or reading a good sci-fi book.
- Managing Partner since 2004
- Partner since 1985
- Brian joined the firm in 1977
- Active Member of the Minneapolis Certified Public Accountant Tax Roundtable, since 1992
- Past Chairman of Tax Committees at the Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA)
- Master of Business Taxation (MBT), University of Minnesota, 1984
- Bachelor of Science in Business/Accounting – High Distinction, University of Minnesota, 1977
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), 1995
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), 1979
- Member of AmericanInstitute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member of Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA)
- Member of National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA)