As a seasonal tax manager at JAK, Cheryl applies her 24 years of public accounting experience to advising clients, helping other staff and reviewing tax returns. Quickthinking and enthusiastic about her role, she loves being able to answer clients’ questions and help them achieve their goals.
Thinking on her feet is a skill Cheryl has honed for years. Prior to kicking off her public accounting career in 1992, she spent 13 years as a police (9-1-1) dispatcher. She studied bookkeeping and accounting in high school, but decided to go into law enforcement instead. After realizing the police officer track wasn’t for her, she took evening classes in accounting at the University of Minnesota while working as a dispatcher.
Since joining JAK in 2016, Cheryl has enjoyed helping clients think through tax situations and choose the most beneficial solution. She lives for seeing the spark in a fellow employee’s or client’s eyes when “the light bulb comes on.” She particularly likes assisting older clients with their tax, retirement and estate issues, so they can fully enjoy retirement.
Cheryl works seasonally so she has time to pursue other passions. She has a soft spot in her heart for national and state parks and historical sites. She is on a lifelong quest to see the unique sights our country has to offer.
- Certified Financial Planner® Certification, University of Minnesota, Mankato, 2007
- Master of Business Taxation (MBT), University of Minnesota, 1997
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, University of Minnesota, 1992
- Two-Year Degree in Law Enforcement, Normandale College, 1977
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Financial Planner® (CFP®)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA)