As youngsters, we often look to the adults in our lives for inspiration. Matt didn’t have to look far—his neighbor was a partner at JAK. He’s convinced this early look at CPA life, coupled with sage advice from his parents, inspired him to declare accounting as his college major. (It also didn’t hurt that he excelled in his accounting courses.) Following graduation, he joined JAK as a junior staff member in 2006.
Not surprisingly, Matt’s role in the firm has expanded over the years. At the moment, he manages attest and tax-only engagements for both businesses and individuals. He’s like a hawk when it comes to looking out for his clients’ best interests, but he rarely gets flustered—despite the profession’s notorious deadlines. It’s hard to feel stressed when you’re doing what you love, he explains.
Matt especially appreciates JAK’s emphasis on work-life balance because it allows him to spend plenty of time with his wife and children. They like to be outdoors and can usually be found at a park playground, the zoo, or on a walk around the neighborhood.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Minnesota State University, Mankato, 2006
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), 2007
- Member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member of Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA)
- Member of Minnesota Utility Contractors Association (MUCA)